Well we just had Paddys Day at the Butcher and Brewer and of course I…
(Lebanese bread salad)
Originally from the Lebanon this bread salad has now become popular in most countries as it is very simple to make, healthy and delicious.
I like to use Broad beans and Cucumber as the base for my salad, but you can also use baby gem lettuce for an even lighter version or even both as in my picture.
- 500g Broad beans (frozen are fine)
- 1 Cucumber peeled, de seeded and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 or 2 Wholemeal Pittas
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 2 little Gem Lettuce cut into ribbons
- 100mls Olive Oil
- 50 mls Lime Juice
- 2 tspn Caster Sugar
- ¼ tspn Garlic Puree
- 200g Goat’s Feta
- 10g of each Chives, Coriander, Parsley and Mint just roughly chopped
- 1 tspn of Sumac
- 100ml Pomegranate Molasses
- Soak the sumac in the olive oil and rub the pita bread all over, toast till crisp and break into small pieces.
- Make a dressing out of the olive oil and Sumac by adding the caster sugar, garlic puree, lime juice and pomegranate molasses and whisk together.
- Put cooked and peeled broad beans and cucumber into a large bowl season with salt and pepper and add in herbs. Mix through lightly with hands, add in tomatoes and lettuce.
- Finally add in pita bread and most of the feta (leaving behind a little to sprinkle on top).
- Pour over dressing and lightly toss through with hands.
- Place on desired platter topping with reserved, crumbled feta and a final drizzle of pomegranate molasses.